3.9K views

I SO agree with the complaint from JazznJavaSF. I, too, used Prescription Solutions for many years until the were taken over by OptumRx and I never - or seldom - had a problem. Now, every month I get closer to having a heart attack, panic attack, hiatal hernia attack and any other attack available to me after dealing with these people. I kid you not, EVERY month involves at least 4-5 phone calls. I even wrote to the CEO and let him know what was going on........like he really cares! .

These people, in addition to not being well trained or even smart, are the most outrageous liars. If you call them 4 times for an issue (I usually call more than that), they will give you 5 answers. Yes, you read right. I called once and in one conversation they gave me 2 different and opposite answers - both of which turned out to be wrong.

There is also a billing problem. It is impossible to reach their billing department. They simply won't put you through. I order two meds at a time to be overnighted together. They are due the same time so I see no reason why they should be handled separately. The first pain med finally got here and I was charged the overnight charges. I also had a non-narcotic med (which is strangely unaffected by their professed "processing" time. I boldly noted that this SHOULD NOT be overnighted. Additionally I attached a separate note saying the same thing. They sent the no-rush med and charged me the overnight charges and it was days before I received the second pain med and they charged me the overnight charges AGAIN. Do I have to tell you I'm not paying the $15 for EACH shipment? Three overnight charges for what could have gone out in one package? C'mon guys. I'm not the billionaire. You are confusing me with the CEO of your company.

I am 70 years old and have several conditions which cause me horrendous pain. My caring doctor has prescribed 2 narcotics but since I live in the drug capital (??) of Florida, I cannot buy either of these in local pharmacies. I have a poverty plan with United Healthcare for meds only and THEY OWN OPTUMRX. I call to complain every month but I'll give you 3 guesses who they defend. Yesterday I spent hours on the phone calling government agencies but I got caught in the bureaucratic loop, with everyone telling me to call someone else - sometimes the very people who told me to call them. I should move to a country where they actually honor and respect their older citizens. Oh, wait, I can't afford it. I don't eat THAT many pop tarts.

I order 2 narcotic meds at a time which my doctor can't prescribe until the day before they are due for renewal (may be specific to Florida) and then have to pay $15.00 overnight charges (which is taken from my already unhealthy food budget). OptumRx then sits on the prescriptions with a myriad of excuses - "Your drug company (US Healthcare) denied them [not true], we never got it [not true], we have to verify this with your doctor [doubt that since they have a valid prescription], the dog ate the prescription. Then I have to wait 7 days or more for them to process the scripts, which I'm sure is done by machine. The order form I send them tells them in red marker, underlines and highlighted in addition to a repetitive hand-written note, to overnight the meds back (another $15 out of my food money - now down to buying nutritious pop tarts from the dollar store for meals). Now, overnight to me means it's mailed Monday and I get it Tuesday. Right? Today is 1/5/13 and I have been given several different delivery dates by OptumRX as to when I will be receiving the meds. Would you be surprised to hear I still don't have the meds?

All this time since I received the prescription from my doctor (12/18) - [remember, the med runs out on 12/19] I have been in severe pain but nobody gives a ***. I MIGHT be able to get them on the east coast of FL but I can’t afford the gas and my SIL’s car has preceded me in death. NOT ONE government agency did a single thing to help me. Where do we get off calling ourselves a "caring" country. At 70 years old I have finally become a total cynic.

I am totally heart-sick (as well as body-sick) that we treat our seniors so poorly. I know I sound flippant about all this, but if it weren’t for my humor I would crawl into a hole and put it in after me, or become another Sybil. As it is, I just sit in my room all day because it hurts too much to walk around. My doctor asks me if I am getting any exercise and I just laugh. She understands what I mean. Am I eating well? Pop Tarts (dollar store equivalent, of course) taste just fine when you’re hungry.

For those people who tell me to just change insurance companies I tell them I can’t. I have TWO choices here in Florida: US Healthcare or one another (who it isn’t necessary to name). The second company’s co-pays are just way too high for me and I can’t afford them.

I know nothing will come of this but at least, if JazznJavaSF reads this s/he will know they aren’t being paranoid……that this problem isn’t their fault. If there are two of us, you can bet there are loads more.

I may be old but I'm feisty and these people just don't know who they are messing with. I'll be the squeaky wheel and I'd scream from the rooftops if I could get up there. Y'think 60 Minutes will read this? ***! SOMEBODY has to care.

Review about: Optumrx Prescription Refill.

Comments

to optumisbad #1484795

I work for optum as well. and I can agree with everything you just said.

I feel sorry for our members. we aren't trained well and our system work 40% of the time. The website NEVER works and will NEVER be fixed. So save your time and just call in.

When the big wigs come into the office we are told NOT to bombard them with negative things but how on earth will we ever fix the problems if we cant address them? Ive complained to my sup and my sup's sup but they tell me "its job security". I don't want to come into work knowing im going to cussed and yelled at. I mean I know I cant solve every problem but if we could solve at LEAST 85% of the problems then our members would have more faith in us as a company.

How we are a fortune 500 company is beyond me. Im now a very anxious person when im at work.

I just want to say sorry to all of you who have had a bad experience with optum. I wish I could fix it for you.

I used to work for Optum as a pharmacy clerk. Hopefully I can shed some light on the processes that go on behind the scenes.

When you mail in your prescription it can take 7-10 business days to process. Just because you want overnight shipping does not mean the processing time will speed up, it just means it will go out overnight once ready. All prescriptions are verified by a live person, there are no machines involved. If your insurance carrier has ever "refused" a prescription, that might be the case.

Optum is only the pharmacy, they are not experts in your insurance plan. As far as billing goes, there is not billing department. During the year that I worked there, we were never given a "billing dept" phone number. If we needed to contact someone internally it was all done by electronic correspondence.

I can't really explain the multiple overnight charges, but you may have received more than one package depending on what region of the country shipped your meds. There are two pharmacies that fill for Optum, so if stock was running low one of your meds that may have broken up the order into two separate packages.

My experience with OptumRx started in January. I had been on Cobra with my previous employer, but the insurance company was still Uhc.

I have a severe case of Ankylosing Spondylitis as well as a severe case of Sjongrens. I started on Humira back in June of 13. At that time I was using Cvs Caremark, while they had some minor issues, I always got my meds within 24 hours or the day they specified. However, when my new group insurance started I found out I would have to change to OptumRx.

I was not familiar with this company, but it didn't take long to figure them out.

I called my Dr to send the prescription to them. The doctors office faxed them the day I called. It took 2 - 3 more faxes before they showedt hat they have it.

Now, I have mention, I take calls for a major insurance company. I know that other pharmacies have had some computer issues with all the insurance changes, but this went WAY beyond any of that.

When they finally received the prescription, I called in asking when it would be ready and what my cost was. The person I spoke with said he couldn't get the price yet because there was some kind of issue as to why it wasn't processing.

I told told him thatI also have the hHumira protection plan to assist with my copay, so he took that information andentered it on my account. So, I wait a few days and call back. Well the lady I spoke with told me that I needed prior authorization and stated that OptumRx had sent this toy Dr. I was furious, Uhc had been paying for this med for 6 months and now they want pre-auth, ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????

Well this pre-authorization issue went on for a month, with me calling my Dr's office, OptumRx and Uhc repeatedly every week. I eventually received a letter from Uhc saying my Humira was DENIED.

Luckily my Dr's office took care of that, but there was another issue brewing. On one of the calls to OptumRx I was told that they could not take my co-pay assistance.

I immediately asked why and was told that the order came from Uhc and I should call them. Of course I did. The agent at Uhc told me that she had never heard of this and didn't know why they told me to call them. So, I call OptumRx yet again.

And the cycle continues. Keep in mind by this time I have been without my meds for 6 weeks. Last week I called Uhc and asked if I could get this med at Cvs. I once again explained about the co-pay assistance, and she said she didn't know about that, but assured me that I could pick up my meds at Cvs, so I called Cvs and asked them to get it transferred.

I was told it would be ready in 2 days, Yes!!! Well when the day came, I waited in line only to be told, I had to call Uhc. So after work the next day I call OptumRx and get a very nice man and after my ranting he says once again Uhc did not tell OptumRx to not take the copay assistance card, but he saw some kind of "lock" on my prescription and asked if he could call me back. When he called back, he said the lock means you can only get this from OptumRx.

So, I call them back, once again. The girl was very apologetic and gave me 4 phone numbers to call for assistance programs Uhc will take, I had explained that I could not afford to pay $773.64 and then wait to be refunded. The firstnu mber was exactly that- a rebate program. The second number was for MS.

The third number said they had technical issues and hung up, the fourth one hung up without saying anything. As you can imagine, I am beyond livid. So the next day I call Uhc again, I gave a brief synopsis and said I need a supervisor. This girl tried to explain, but when I threatened to get an attorney involved she got a super on the phone.

This lady was very nice, she called OptumRx and spoke with a super there, finding out that the only thing they would accept from abbvie was a pre-paid Mastercard or visa. So, Monday I'm calling Humira protection again to see what this card thing is. If that doesn't work, I'll be contacting my state rep. I really am a nice lady, but this situation is driving me insane.

If I don't get my meds soon, I'll lose my job.

Any feedback would be great.

Shelton, Washington, United States #783269

OptumRX is about as bad as it can get. Inept, disorganized, and dishonest - I am opting to pay more out of pocket for my Meds (by getting them monthly at a local pharmacy) to avoid having to deal with these fools again.

Cannot recall ever having such an aggravating experience trying to place a simple order for anything, much less prescription renewals.

Never thought it would be a relief to have to go to Walmart for something versus ordering online. Wow.

Chino Valley, Arizona, United States #782072

Yes OptumRX on-line system is USELESS! I am hearing impaired and do not use phones.

I can NEVER (for the last two years) been able to access my account. My wife must make multiple times to get information and often put on hold for 15 minutes or more. And then the problem is not resolved. They send a temp password and then tell you to change that to your personal password.

Each time I do that, and hit ENTER, then it comes back with "PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE". So I go back to the sign in page and put in the temp password and it rejects it, so I try the Personal Password and it rejects it. THIS *** has been going on for 2 FREAKING years. One "Support" person tells me to try a different browser, that their system is having problems with Internet Explorer (IE inconvenience the customer rather than fix their technical problems).

So I took MY TIME to install CHROME, and guess what. SAME *** different day!

This time they asked my wife to take a over the phone automated survey. Ha, ha, that too failed the minute she said choice 1 VERY DISPLEASED. I don't know what she expected.

Their system is TOTALLY useless.

To all patients that have been affected by this horribly ran company. First I would like to apologize on their behalf.

This company has many issues that need to be ironed out. As a former employee I can offer you tips on how to make the process go more smoothly.

1) You can only add a credit card at the time you make the order.

2) If you need a prescription, it takes 7-10 business days to arrive to you, which is actually up to 2 weeks.

3) If you request that something be ship and billed, make sure to ask them to place the ship and bill hold and release the copay hold. They will understand the lingo.

4) Just because you are married does not mean you and your spouse have a joined account. payment info is specific to the patient.

Don't get upset when we ask you for payment info for your spouse when its on your account, and no we cannot copy and paste credit card information.

5) If all else fails, you can send an email to CEO Dirk McMahon at dirk.mcmahon@optum.com or his assistant Shelly, at shelly.pouliot@optum.com the direct line to Dirk McMahon's office is 952-917-7270 and his fax is 952-917-8642 You can also write to: Dirk McMahon 1608 Summit Oaks Ct. Burnsville, MN 55337 I sincerely hope that any of this information is helpful and finds you all in good health.

to mikejinsd #785388

Thank you so much for the contact information I am also having a serious issue that I . have been dealing with for over 6 weeks.

to mikejinsd Beryl, Utah, United States #842529

Thank you ever so much for this information. I called them, and Shelly, who is very nice was clueless about any issues.

She did, however, switch me to a "patient advocate", who took down all my information, let me rant, and did it all very well.

The advocate even promised she would enure a med I desperately need would arrive before the 24 of July.

She has since called back to check on an additional discrepancy on my account, so I suspect she will get things straightened out.

Here's the thing.

These numbers need to be spread far and wide for any individual who is on Medicare/Medicaid and is being managed by United Health Care. We ALL need to call and complain and to demand action.

Like I told the advocate.

OptumRx's job is to fill a script which has been sent by a medical provider as stated on the script. No changing refills, no requiring a pre-auth without immediately contacting the medical office. They are to fill the script and send it to me. It is inexcusable that it should take 10 days to receive a script, research it (even I can see my own formulary), and then snail mail a "we're having a problem" letter a week later.

It is not the patient's job to figure out an alternate med, or to call the doctor's office and let them know that Optum RX needs a pre-auth. I told them I was quite surprised that I didn't have to drive somewhere to pick up the script that they're supposed to mail to me.

Yes, I'm pissed, and I will complain until matters are corrected. You can bet those numbers are no longer private in my hands.

to ***ed off Senior #1484804

You are correct the job is to fill your meds but if your insurance requires a Prior Auth there is nothing OptumRx can do until your MD satisfies the request. Its your insurance that wants to know why your MD is choosing this med for you.Prior authorization or PA is a requirement that your physician obtain approval from your health insurance plan to prescribe a specific medication for you. PA is a technique for minimizing costs, wherein benefits are only paid if the medical care has been pre-approved by the insurance (From Google)OptumRx should inform you of alternate meds in the same therapeutic class, however, it is up to your physician to say if the med is a comparable alternative.just an FYI

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #773991

Optum RX needs to be closed down. I am a kidney transplant receipiant totally dependant on anti-rejection meds every 12 hours.

The stress I go through every time I have to contact them is going cause rejection in itself if not other medical problems. They can't seem to get the meds delivered, and I cannot go even 1 day without them. Then the hassle of having to get overrides done so I can pick them up at a local speciality pharmacy takes all day if not two days. I get a phone call from them, that my doctor has subscribed new meds and they want to send them to me.

I called the doctors office and no such thing happened. Optum RX told me in the beginning that my meds can be overnighted to me, has never happened. I received another call yesterday a reminder to refill, never told which one, I take 3 of them. So I called after 30 mins on the phone they tell me I have to talk to medical billing for some reason.

Another 20 mins on hold and they tell me it has to be over rided because the insurance is denying the claim. They after another on hold they tell me its ok and asked me why I was speaking to them if all I needed was a refill. OMG... Then they tried to double bill my deductable.

Suppose to be delivered on Friday, not keeping my fingers crossed. I really think people need to come together and do something about this company.

My life is in their hands and it scares me. :(

So normally my medication is 10 dollah a month from walgreens. Doctor suggested moving to 90 day orders via my insurance company's mail order service.

Cost for 90 days of medication from mail order? I don't know if they're hoping their customers are just ***/lazy and bad at math or what.

THIS type of *** is why I have high blood pressure.

I have had an on going problem with OPTUMRX, owned by United Health, for a month trying to get one prescription (three items) filled. It's the same problems you all have experienced. I am now writing to the Commissioner of Insurance, State Attorney General, and Secretary of State for my state, with a copy to United Health, ABC, NBC and CBS. I'm including the web pages of complaints.(Just go to your state's web page for example www.Arizonz.gov and look for the official state portal for names and addresses).

Although I'm not of the YouTube generation, my grandchildren are. We plan to make a "Granny video for You Tube" about this company.

Good Luck to you all.

to Anonymous #1123481

just hire a lawyer. Look for other filed lawsuits. there are plenty.

I found filing a complaint with your State Attorney General, or Department of Consumer Affairs for your state gets results.

I have had problems with this company which have taken almost a month to get my perscription. My Prescription of 3 items was fax'd directly from my doctor.

They shipped one item. After several telephone calls, I finally discovered they cancelled the other two. This company is unreliable and untruthful. Their people have scripted answers which are untruthful.

I will be cancelling my service with them, which causes me a problem. I'm newly on Medicare, and only have until Dec 7 to sign up with a new Pharmacy!

I will be filing a complaint with AARP United, and the Food and Drug Administration, although it probable won't do any good.

Largo, Florida, United States #749999

smart person learns from the experience of others, *** from his own.

everything tells me to stay away from optum Rx

RachelMcCarter25

8) Victoria. even though Karen`s bl0g is nice...

on saturday I got a new Lotus Elan from making $8982 this-past/five weeks and just a little over 10-k lass month. without a doubt its the nicest-job I've ever had.

I actually started 8-months ago and immediately startad bringin home over $81, p/h. check it out.....JUMP85.COM

Commack, New York, United States #746879

United Healtcare just changed from Express Scripts to OptumRX. Optum RX is so horribly incompetent that I an dropping United Health Care.

Optum has been unable to fill just about any prescription without a minimum of 3 hours of phone calls over the course of 5 days.

They also can never charge the right price, and almost billed me $2,000 for what should have been $75. I revoked authorization of my credit card.

I just had to start using OptumRx because of my insurance Co. I had MEDCO before and wasn't in love but I dealt. Optum has to be some kind of sick joke. Someone is sitting up nights dreaming up how to make it all worse..they're creative.

When everything changed on October 1, 2013 my prescriptions were to transfer over. Surprise! None of them transferred. I've spent the entire month of October, and up until yesterday getting things straightened out. I hear you all about the pain meds. I take a big gun one and a smaller gun. The big gun they never say a word about. The other one, Lyrica, you'd think it was heroin. Optum had the nerve to tell me I HAD to get my Lyrica through Optum mail order because of cost savings. AND that the State of Florida requires this....they also say my prescription cannot be sent in electronically; it's against the law. WTH? :x

I said that's ***...If cost savings were the issue, I have a narcolepsy med that is 4x the price of Lyrica, and they don't force me to use mail order.

I have managed to be able to fill all my prescriptions but 1 at my retail pharmacy. Optum isn't going to tell you this, but ask. With some , you do have the right to get the medicine at your local pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS. Ask. Insist..I did. They didn't want to tell me I had this right.

No doubt, they suck rocks; hard.

So true. Optum just refused a medication this disabled lady has taken for 20 years and can't remove it from their database so it looks like I received it.

Another Pissed off So Floridian.

BTW 20 different answers for 10 calls. Disqusted........