Insurance Plans Acceptance
Prescription Services
Turnaround Time

Yes! I want to join in a class-action lawsuit against OptumRx ASAP! In short, the several years that I have had the misfortune of being covered by OptumRx have been among the worst years of my life psychologically speaking.

They’ve increased the severity level of my depression, stress, blood pressure, to name a few, and have me in such a state of insecurity when it comes to my prescriptions, that it leaves me at a loss for words to try and describe it.

Every month, I have panic attacks and my anxiety sharply increases because I know I’m going to have to get my prescriptions refilled and that’s going to mean another “ambush” attempt by OptumRx. At this point, I’m already paying for more than half of my medicine and in fact, because I can’t afford it, I’ve had to take less than the prescribed amount.

Seriously, I’m paying 80% of the cost of a medication that OptumRx supposedly covers! Now OptumRx has just begun their latest ambush/attack on anyone requiring prescriptions that cost more than a few dollars.

The pharmacy that carries my prescriptions, (and has been faithfully refilling them for over a year), now receives a “Not Contracted” error every time she attempts to submit my prescription to OptumRx.

In fact, this is happening to all of her OptumRx covered patients! The short story is that OptumRx required pharmacies that were not of a big chain like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc., to apply for a contract by the end of October 2015.

My pharmacy did exactly that and actually received indication that OptumRx received the completed application and she was approved. However, when January 1 came around, suddenly and without any warning, she started getting that "Not Contracted” error.

She’s a small business owner/pharmacist and only has one incoming telephone line. She’s attempted to call OptumRx every day since January 1, 2016 with no success. Each time she calls, she gets a computer-recorded instruction to “please hold for the next available representative” and then she never hears anything else.

No one picks up the phone, and on several occasions, she kept the phone tied up for several hours, waiting for someone to do just that. What may explain this is the fact that OptumRx employees are managed by the most in apt supervisors on the planet. I’m sure it’s all about “ignorance” and as long as they continue to ignore the call, the problem won’t exist, (that’s great management…)

Therefore, even if she does get a representative, it’s extremely likely they won’t know what to do if they even understand the problem. At this point in time, two of my three prescriptions have yet to be filled and it appears that I’m going to have to bring them to a different pharmacy.

For those of you who have not recently attempted to find a pharmacy other than CVS, Walmart, and/or Walgreens, you may find that this is an incredibly difficult task. My point is that I will once again have to bring my prescriptions to one of these three big chains.

It took a long time before I was able to escape these big pharmacies. More often than not, these rude, inept and often, completely disinterested customer service representatives/technicians, would fail to fill the prescription.

I certainly have detailed accounts and evidence of the fiascoes these pharmacies put me through for several years until I found this small pharmacy. I won’t go into the details here but am willing to present them for anyone who asks.

This report is a far shorter rundown of what OptumRx has been doing to me for the last several years. I’m afraid that, just like my accounts regarding the fiascoes of those big pharmacy chains, the more explicit details of the horrible customer service, concern, and support that OptumRx forced me to experience, will take up far more writing space.

If there is a competent legal team who is willing to go the distance and toe to toe with OptumRx’s lawyers, (which I’m sure are near the top of OptumRx’s pay scale), I need to know who they are. I have no doubt that they will need to do some serious research, and they will probably wind up in court. However, if it’s the legal team that I’m seeking, they’ll have no problem with that.

They’ll be the kind of lawyer who considers the courtroom a familiar and well-traveled place. They’d be confident that the outcome would definitely be worth their while. I have collected lots of paperwork that OptumRx sent me over the years as well as telephone recordings from all the calls that I’ve made to their customer service center.

I want these people out of business, to be perfectly frank. OptumRx is attempting to be the largest worldwide pharmacy insurance carrier in the world, a monopoly in spite of the laws that supposedly keep that from happening. This is obvious because they’ve were buying up their competition for several years now.

Even now, there’s almost no one that doesn’t have an OptumRx insurance coverage for their prescriptions whether they know it or not. Sure, many people aren’t going through the kind of trouble and haven’t experienced the kind of problems that I have.

However, if you think that you’re not going to find yourself dealing with OptumRx at some point, I think you’re in for a big surprise. When there’s only one person in town that you can go to for a particular service or item, you can bet they already know that. OptumRx as nearly reached that point and you can bet there already counting the money before they even made it.

It won’t be long before you’ll pay more, get less, and then eventually, forgotten about because big companies like this tend to keep all the bad things about them contained. I know I’m not the first one to complain about what’s going on here, not by a longshot.

The fact that there’s even a website regarding a class action suit against OptumRx should be a big red flag already. However, the website claims to have about 177 reports and it’s going to take a *** of a lot more than that so those of you who have to deal with OptumRx and find yourself constantly on the short end of the stick, please turn in your report ASAP.

Rich

This reviewer shared experience about "deliberate tactics to refuse coverage" and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). wingclip56 is overall dissatisfied with Optumrx. The most disappointing about optumrx prescription filling at Optumrx was lies, accountability and no service Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Optumrx.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Pharmacy category for more informed decision or compare Optumrx to other companies on our site.

Comments

bobs2015
Saginaw, Michigan, United States #1092183

I've never heard of this company, but requiring pharmacies to contract with them would not be unusual---this is a common practice among all insurance companies. It's nice to go to a small pharmacy, but when a situation like yours happens, you just have to go elsewhere.

Good luck.

And, stop with the "class action" nonsense. No one takes that threat seriously.

to bobs2015 #1092206

I have to agree, the most realistic results of this class-action suite "rally" is almost laughable. However, just to clarify, the pharmacy did get approved for the "contract", (and I know it's not uncommon).

The problem is that this obscenely greedy corporation has gotten so big that they can't tie their own shoes without a half dozen approvals.

It seems that they don't know this pharmacy can't submit the OptumRx scripts and even though they instruct the pharmacy what to do in such a scenario, they don't answer any of the correspondences they've instructed the person to contact them with...

Essentially, 'you c an't get there from here' seems to be the loop the pharmacist is running in.

The pharmacy I mentioned has been approved and been filling my scripts for over a year and without all the ridiculous confusion that the techs in big pharmies seem to have.

If I was getting some of the more "common" prescriptions, (whatever is considered a common prescription), or had it covered by a capable and uncomplicated insurance provider, I wouldn't see a problem either.

My medications are not common nor are they "flexible" in the way I need to take them and when. You, as pretty much most others, won't understand or see anything to get upset about until it happens to you. This is the beauty of this kind of problem and works in favor for the violator. I can assure you that the small, literally "Tiny" bit, I've written in this report barely shows the 'frost' on the tip of the iceberg, let alone the tip itself.

Not knowing who I am, what meds I'm speaking about, (and I will not publicize them here), or the depth of this injustice makes it way to easy for you or anyone to say, "just move on". The very short report I wrote is intended to catch the eyes/ears of those others whom, like me, are getting kicked around and no one to turn to about it. Once they see that they're not alone, maybe they'll report there scenario, (although I won't hold my breath for it to happen). In short, if you weren't there, you really don't know, but I'm trying to emphasize that you have a high probability of experiencing all this fun in the years to come.

Perhaps, a little concern now, may save you from a lot of concern later? FWIW