I'm a clinician and contracted provider with United Health Care. I'm also a consumer and like thousands of others who pay for medical benefits, when needed, I expect to utilize my specialty pharmacy benefit.

When I actually did call to ascertain my coverage, I was met with indifference on the part of the Optum RX staff, who didn't have details about my coverage, transferred me around to varied divisions until I was forced to disconnect. The website, absent any working feature to e-mail, was a waste of time. When my own physician faxed in the required authorization form she had to do it twice - we learned the auth was cancelled: no reason available. When my specialty pharmacy called Optum RX to confirm my benefit details, they were given contradictory information.

Left with no choice to pay out of pocket, I went online to visit Briova, the in house specialty arm, to witness a disingenuous on-line video pitch on how "personalized care is what we're all about" -- no online method to make contact. Called UHC again today to request the name of a person in charge of complaints. Alas, there is no one. Was advised to write UHC/Complaints, PO Box 30432, Salt Lake City, UT.

84130-0432. Shameless.

Product or Service Mentioned: Optumrx Customer Care.

Comments