Insurance Plans Acceptance
Turnaround Time

I've got lotsa complaints about OptumRx

I was on CVS Caremark on my previous insurance program before going on Medicare. Forced switch to OptumRx led to higher copays and more aloof, bureaucratic attitude toward me, the customer.

1) when my doctor sends a prescription, they call it "my order" My doctor's prescription isn't my order until I make it my order, but they treat it that way and initiate an order.

2) there's no effort to communicate clearly with the customer about order status. They say "in process" when they mean "on hold" waiting for me to ask my doctor to complete a "prior authorization" request.

3) they report that my new Rx is going to cost me $1300 for the 90 day supply. When I ask the representative on the phone to tell my copay, she said I would have to talk with my insurance company about that. What? They are my insurance company! United Healthcare!

4) After cooling off for a couple of days, I called, got a representative and asked "what is my copay" The answer was that I would have to get the prior authorization. After complaining about the BS of that, i.e., having to get the consumer involved in the BS between the doctor and the insurance company over the prior authorization, he gave me the prior auth phone number to give my doctor. Then I asked "another question" -- once the auth is approved, what will be my copay. Got my answer that time. Whew! That was easy, like getting a molar extraction.

5) Along the way to the live repr, I listened to the robo lady extolling the virtues of handling all this on line. Well, I started doing that a few months ago, and have found the web alternative more bureaucratic and more arcane than the telephone minefield. Moreover, there is no way to ask them a question and get an answer on other latest, improved version of the website.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

I didn't like: Insensitivity to customer needs.

Comments

Gary2016
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #1134550

I get a different answer to the same question each time I call